Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kitchen Gadget of the Day - Silicone Steamer

I found these on amazon the other day.  I read a weight watcher's article recommending using steamers for vegetables.  The steamed food is healthier and tastier than boiled vegetables which lose a lot of their nutrients and flavor in the water and much healthier and easier than sautéing them in oil.  There are many metal steamers out there, but they are more expensive and harder to clean, they rust and they can also scratch your expensive non-stick cookware.  These silicone steamers are great, much like the silicone baking mats nothing sticks to them.  You can't see from the photo but they have three little silicone legs that holds the basket above the water.  You don't have to spray them with oil or worry about your pot stickers sticking to them and clean up is a breeze - you can pop them in the dishwasher and not have to worry about them rusting like the stainless steel ones.  They're also currently part of amazon.com's 4 for 3 sale and make great gifts.  I bought one in green for Maria (her favorite color), a second in red for us to use to steam raw meat so we don't have to worry about cross contamination, one in red to give to my Mom to match her kitchen and one in orange for my sister in law to match her Xango colored kitchen.  These steamers fold easily to fit almost any sized pot - they come in two sizes for very small pots.  You can store them just about anywhere - I heard someone uses them as spacers between their nonstick pans to protect the teflon - I'm all for a nice added bonus use!   I made spinach with it last night and it came out great.  I rinsed some baby spinach, placed it in the steamer in a pot with a little water and covered it for about 5 minutes.  I drained the spinach, poured out the water and thew a little pit of garlic and a splash of olive oil in the hot pot and tossed the spinach back in for 10 seconds with some salt and pepper... delish!!!  I'm going to pick up some crabs, lobsters, clams, etc. and try them next.

No comments:

Post a Comment